Why is my Apple TV remote working with my Mac?
That’s the question I’ve asked myself the other day when I was watching the iTunes Festival on my Apple TV.
Every time I would press a button on the Apple TV remote, my Macbook would make a sound like it was ready to wake up.
I didn’t think anything of it until it also opened iTunes on my iMac the day after…
Was my house haunted? Was there a “slimer” (for the “Ghostbusters” fans) hovering around and playing with my sanity?
Or was it simply that, by default, a Mac is ready to be commanded by an IR (Infra Red) remote control such as the one used with the Apple TV?
To my disappointment, there was not to be any exciting encounter with such green, floating spectre.
How to disable it so you don’t get crazy when all your Macs around the house turn on at once when you want to watch your Apple TV?
It’s easy (as most things Mac)!
- Click the black apple on the top left corner of your Mac screen
- Select System Preferences
- Go to Security & Privacy
- Click the lock on the bottom left corner to make changes
- Click “Advanced” on the bottom right corner
- Check the box “Disable remote control infrared receiver”
That’s it! Voila!
Feel free to share your thoughts below in the comments section!